shoebot: portable windows version

tristan@hxgraphics
http://www.hxgraphics.com/downloads/

This is the Shoebot package I have been using for my students. It is a 'portable' (as in no install necessary) Windows version of Shoebot with Winff(ffmpeg), Geany, and Scite.

There are 4 .bat files in the root:

geany.bat (recommended):
- launches the Geany IDE. It is configured to provide Shoebot functionality with any files using a .bot or .py extension. It has a custom dark & yellow GTK theme (looks cool and kind of matches Shoebot colors) as well as function hints and keyword coloring for Shoebot.

gtk2_prefs.bat:
- a gtk theme selector. I have pre-configured a gtk theme already, so this is not necessary -- unless of course you cannot stand mine.

scite.bat:
- launches the Scite IDE. It is configured to use Shoebot commands with any files using a .bot extension. Provides keyword coloring for Shoebot.

shoebot.bat:
- runs "shoebot-ide".

The zip file could definitely be made a lot smaller by removing unnecessary files (especially in gtk directory). Also, Geany and Scite have simply been configured to work decently with Shoebot -- ideally I should create proper plugins. I figured that this download could be handy seeing that there is no 'packaged' Windows version in the "Download and Install" section of the Shoebot website yet. I know its not the most elegant solution, but I thought it might be of some use. Excuse my noobish coding skills :)

Re: shoebot: portable windows version

Dave Crossland
Administrator
I think we should definitely host this on the site, and set up a HG
repo for it so we can continue its development :)
est

Re: shoebot: portable windows version

est
thanks, AFAIK the graph lib still need few patches,

e.g.

        self.font        = "/home/francesco/.fonts/calibri.ttf"

will throw an error on Windows

and

        min = Point(float("inf"), float("inf"))
        max = Point(float("-inf"), float("-inf"))

won't work for py2.5

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:17 AM, tristan@hxgraphics <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

ricardo lafuente
it's now on the downloads page.
this was really something on our wishlist for a longtime -- thanks a
ton, Tristan! This is really awesome stuff :)

regarding the repo, maybe we can join everything on the main repository?
say, an addons/ dir could contain the Geany, Scite, Gedit and Inkscape
extensions. Another could contain Tristan's .bat files with instructions
(or better, a script) to create the portable standalone package for
Windows. Does it sound like a proper way to handle this?

(it's just that i don't think it's a good idea to create parallel
repositories :)

est wrote:
thanks, AFAIK the graph lib still need few patches,
e.g.

        self.font        = "/home/francesco/.fonts/calibri.ttf"

this would definitely need some kind of system-wide font search, and that's no easy task... maybe in the meantime we could bundle DejaVu or similar? (Dave, what's your thought?)

        min = Point(float("inf"), float("inf"))
        max = Point(float("-inf"), float("-inf"))

won't work for py2.5

hmm, trying to assign float('inf') to a variable works on my Python (2.5 and 2.6). Maybe the problem is in the Point function?

2009/6/17 ricardo lafuente <[hidden email]>:

> this would definitely need some kind of system-wide font search, and that's
> no easy task... maybe in the meantime we could bundle DejaVu or similar?
> (Dave, what's your thought?)

We could add fontconfig as a dependency, but I'm not too sure about
that - I think it would be best just to put a few libre fonts into the
repository, in a "extras" directory so its easy for distros to keep
them out of their packages, and then have ShoeBot syntax to address
fonts directly by full path.

2009/6/17 ricardo lafuente <[hidden email]>:
> it's now on the downloads page.

Great!

> this was really something on our wishlist for a longtime -- thanks a ton,
> Tristan! This is really awesome stuff :)

+1! :-)

> regarding the repo, maybe we can join everything on the main repository?
> say, an addons/ dir could contain the Geany, Scite, Gedit and Inkscape
> extensions.

I think its a great idea - I meant that I would be a little concerned
about having full applications in the tree, since I assume it would
increase the filesize footprint a lot, but I'm not sure that is true
and in any case if we just mean the extensions to the tools then I
think that should definitely go into the main tree :-)

Re: shoebot: portable windows version

tristan@hxgraphics
Hi Ricardo

I happened to make some installation notes while creating the portable version. Just in case you may need them, the notes and configuration files (.bat files, geany config files, etc.) have been uploaded to: http://hxgraphics.com/downloads/. It was great to hear that my version was of some use! I will need to improve my Mercurial skills ...

My next task is documentation. I know you have written some already and I'd like to develop it into a comprehensive manual and reference. Everything from 'getting started', to documenting the libraries, as well as creating a couple of practical tutorials (by this I mean: how the software can be used in conjunction with various vector and raster software to produce design work in response to a creative brief, etc.). However, I'm afraid I will have to probably use an XML format to write the documentation, but then again -- I figured it should not be too difficult to convert? To cut a long story short, I have managed to organise a whole lot of time until the end of the year to do so. The documentation will be compiled into a website format (you mentioned the love2d documentation, and I'm also pretty keen on something like that). Of course the documentation will be free to remix, modify, etc. I will keep you posted.

ricardo lafuente wrote
it's now on the downloads page.
this was really something on our wishlist for a longtime -- thanks a
ton, Tristan! This is really awesome stuff :)

regarding the repo, maybe we can join everything on the main repository?
say, an addons/ dir could contain the Geany, Scite, Gedit and Inkscape
extensions. Another could contain Tristan's .bat files with instructions
(or better, a script) to create the portable standalone package for
Windows. Does it sound like a proper way to handle this?

(it's just that i don't think it's a good idea to create parallel
repositories :)

Re: shoebot: portable windows version

Stuart Axon

Re: documentation - I'm not sure how easy it is, but the gnome
project uses the xml format "docbook" - I'd be suprised if there
weren't editors for it.

I'm pretty sure this can then be processed into various formats,
html and ones that help systems can use (this is all from
memory so a bit vague).

Screencasts on services like showmedo is probably good too
(the showmedo guy is fairly big on python too)

2009/6/17 Stuart Axon <[hidden email]>:

> Re: documentation - I'm not sure how easy it is, but the gnome
> project uses the xml format "docbook" - I'd be suprised if there
> weren't editors for it.
>
> I'm pretty sure this can then be processed into various formats,
> html and ones that help systems can use (this is all from
> memory so a bit vague).
>
> Screencasts on services like showmedo is probably good too
> (the showmedo guy is fairly big on python too)

http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/ is blatantly the best documentation
system ever :)

Re: documentation

ricardo lafuente
thanks for reminding me, Tristan: i had a documentation branch lying
around and just merged it into the main tree.

it's based on Sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/), which is a very awesome
documentation system for Python projects that has a lot of stuff that i dig:
* can build HTML, PDF (via LaTeX) and Json outputs
* source files are written in ReStructuredText (ReST), which is a
somewhat simple (but very very powerful) markup language. If you know
Markdown you won't have trouble at all with it.
* you can set 'directives' with RST, similar to 'blocks'; for instance,
we can include a code snippet, and Sphinx can run Shoebot and place the
image output alongside it.
* it's geared for Python projects, making APIdoc generation from
docstrings really straightforward
* and was adopted as the doc system for Python itself

a couple of links on RST:
Documentation and HOWTOs: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html
Quick reference: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html

i'm a Sphinx newbie myself, but you'll find it's very easy to play with.
Installing is easy -- in Debian/*buntu, it's 'aptitude install sphinx'.
For other platforms, you can get it in PyPI
(http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Sphinx)
* the source .rst files are in doc/source
* when you want to see the output, just run 'make html' inside the doc/
dir. The result will be in build/html.
* read the Makefile for extra options.

most of the stuff is just section titles and stubs. Feel free to edit it
mercilessly and commit your changes, as well as notes and ideas.
Ideally, the site's documentation should be ported to this.

and also feel free to propose an alternative if Sphinx doesn't sound
like a good fit for this project. Anyway, i would love to get serious
with Sphinx and its features, maybe we can try getting into it together?

regarding screencasts: that's been on my TODO list for a long while!

Dave Crossland wrote:
2009/6/17 ricardo lafuente [hidden email]:

this would definitely need some kind of system-wide font search, and that's
no easy task... maybe in the meantime we could bundle DejaVu or similar?
(Dave, what's your thought?)

We could add fontconfig as a dependency, but I'm not too sure about
that

i'm not sure at all :)

I think it would be best just to put a few libre fonts into the
repository, in a "extras" directory so its easy for distros to keep
them out of their packages, and then have ShoeBot syntax to address
fonts directly by full path.

great. I think we have support for getting fonts from a full path (in util.py) and using the native font backend (through pango). I'm all for including fonts with the package, makes stuff a lot easier.

regarding the repo, maybe we can join everything on the main repository?
say, an addons/ dir could contain the Geany, Scite, Gedit and Inkscape
extensions.

I think its a great idea - I meant that I would be a little concerned
about having full applications in the tree, since I assume it would
increase the filesize footprint a lot, but I'm not sure that is true
and in any case if we just mean the extensions to the tools then I
think that should definitely go into the main tree :-)

taking care of that already :)

Re: documentation

tristan@hxgraphics
Initially, I actually had Docbook in mind, but now I will certainly certainly explore all the other documentation suggestions.

I also uploaded an updated version of the portable Windows Shoebot to: http://hxgraphics.com/downloads/. I found a couple of nasty bugs in the last one ...

One other thing, I have a problem using the svg library. For example, the following Shoebot code returns errors when trying to parse and display an svg file (happens on both Windows and Linux):

svg = ximport('svg')

smiley = svg.parse(open('smiley.svg').read())

drawpath(smiley)

I just wanted to check if anyone else is having the same problem?

est

Re: shoebot: portable windows version

est
Hi tristan,

I just found an outstanding gtk app on Windows, and it's GTK lib is
only 472KB minigtk.dll.

http://xchat.org/files/binary/win32/mini-src/

Can you try use minigtk instead of official GTK runtime?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.hxgraphics.com/downloads/
>
> This is the Shoebot package I have been using for my students. It is a
> 'portable' (as in no install necessary) Windows version of Shoebot with
> Winff(ffmpeg), Geany, and Scite.
>
> There are 4 .bat files in the root:
>
> geany.bat (recommended):
> - launches the Geany IDE. It is configured to provide Shoebot functionality
> with any files using a .bot or .py extension. It has a custom dark & yellow
> GTK theme (looks cool and kind of matches Shoebot colors) as well as
> function hints and keyword coloring for Shoebot.
>
> gtk2_prefs.bat:
> - a gtk theme selector. I have pre-configured a gtk theme already, so this
> is not necessary -- unless of course you cannot stand mine.
>
> scite.bat:
> - launches the Scite IDE. It is configured to use Shoebot commands with any
> files using a .bot extension. Provides keyword coloring for Shoebot.
>
> shoebot.bat:
> - runs "shoebot-ide".
>
> The zip file could definitely be made a lot smaller by removing unnecessary
> files (especially in gtk directory). Also, Geany and Scite have simply been
> configured to work decently with Shoebot -- ideally I should create proper
> plugins. I figured that this download could be handy seeing that there is no
> 'packaged' Windows version in the "Download and Install" section of the
> Shoebot website yet. I know its not the most elegant solution, but I thought
> it might be of some use. Excuse my noobish coding skills :)

Re: shoebot: portable windows version

Sebastian Oliva
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM, est <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi tristan,
>
> I just found an outstanding gtk app on Windows, and it's GTK lib is
> only 472KB minigtk.dll.
>
> http://xchat.org/files/binary/win32/mini-src/
>
> Can you try use minigtk instead of official GTK runtime?
>

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:17 AM, tristan@hxgraphics
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.hxgraphics.com/downloads/
>>
>> This is the Shoebot package I have been using for my students. It is a
>> 'portable' (as in no install necessary) Windows version of Shoebot with
>> Winff(ffmpeg), Geany, and Scite.
>>
>> There are 4 .bat files in the root:
>>
>> geany.bat (recommended):
>> - launches the Geany IDE. It is configured to provide Shoebot functionality
>> with any files using a .bot or .py extension. It has a custom dark & yellow
>> GTK theme (looks cool and kind of matches Shoebot colors) as well as
>> function hints and keyword coloring for Shoebot.
>>
>> gtk2_prefs.bat:
>> - a gtk theme selector. I have pre-configured a gtk theme already, so this
>> is not necessary -- unless of course you cannot stand mine.
>>
>> scite.bat:
>> - launches the Scite IDE. It is configured to use Shoebot commands with any
>> files using a .bot extension. Provides keyword coloring for Shoebot.
>>
>> shoebot.bat:
>> - runs "shoebot-ide".
>>
>> The zip file could definitely be made a lot smaller by removing unnecessary
>> files (especially in gtk directory). Also, Geany and Scite have simply been
>> configured to work decently with Shoebot -- ideally I should create proper
>> plugins. I figured that this download could be handy seeing that there is no
>> 'packaged' Windows version in the "Download and Install" section of the
>> Shoebot website yet. I know its not the most elegant solution, but I thought
>> it might be of some use. Excuse my noobish coding skills :)
>>

>> --

Hello, don't know if it's me or the site is dead, does anyone knows If
there's a windows version?

Re: shoebot: portable windows version

tristan@hxgraphics
Hi Sebastian,
sorry about the delayed response.

I have been rather side-tracked this year, and have not been able to put much time into this.
I have a windows version here:
http://spryte.hxgraphics.com/media/spryte/downloads/spryte_v0.2.zip

Minigtk sounds like a great option. I really need to look at repackaging the whole lot (with updated shoebot, etc.) ...

Re: shoebot: portable windows version

Stuart Axon
You can install it from all the pieces on the shoebot.net site.  I collected all
the links a while ago to get it working on 2.6, and should have got that put on
the site (but didn't, I can probably dig those out from somewhere though).

I've been a bit sidetracked in my own participation with work stuff, I'm hoping
that when I come back the next version of cairo and gtk will be out.

(Next version of gtk has much more integration with cairo, while the next
version of cairo has the start of graphics acceleration).

 S++