shoebot-ide

ugajin
HI

I am running OSX v 10.6.8 and Python 2.7.8
As far as I can tell I have completed a successful shoebot installation.
I ran sudo python setup.py install and shoebot seems to have been
installed in the site-packages directory
However, shoebot IDE does not boot with shoebot-ide or at all.

Thanks in anticipation

-u

Re: shoebot-ide

Stuart Axon
Hi,
   Do the examples work outside the IDE ?

e.g.

sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot

this is cool if you have got this far, shoebot hasn't been tested in quite a while !   if you can share how you got everything installed we can update the docs.

You should be able to start the ide like this:

python shoebot/gui/ide.py

It hasn't been tested in quite a while, but if you have everything installed it should *probably* still work ..

S++

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:01 PM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

HI

I am running OSX v 10.6.8 and Python 2.7.8
As far as I can tell I have completed a successful shoebot installation.
I ran sudo python setup.py install and shoebot seems to have been
installed in the site-packages directory
However, shoebot IDE does not boot with shoebot-ide or at all.

Thanks in anticipation

-u

Re: shoebot-ide

ugajin

Hi

Afraid not, IDe doesn't boot, nor do the examples work outside IDE

python shoebot/gui/ide.py returns:
Apples-iMac-4:scripts apple$ python shoebot/gui/ide.py
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Pyt
hon.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'shoebot/gui/ide.py':
[Errno 2] No such file or directory

It seems to be looking in Resources
I tried dropping the ide.py file onto the Terminal window after typing
python command and got 3 warnings before Traceback see below:

Apples-iMac-4:scripts apple$ python
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7
/site-packages/shoebot/gui/ide.py
** (process:62782): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype
'GMountMountFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
** (process:62782): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype
'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
** (process:62782): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype
'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.
7/site-packages/shoebot/gui/ide.py", line 17, in <module>
    import gtksourceview2
ImportError: No module named gtksourceview2

For sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot
Terminal report:
-bash: sbot: command not found

Regards
-u

Re: shoebot-ide

Ricardo Lafuente-4
Sorry for the late response to the thread.

I'd say forget the IDE, it's a really old piece of code that I'd be
surprised works at all.
The way to try this on MacOS would be through the sbot command. The
error you get,

On 07/16/2014 07:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> For sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot
> Terminal report:
> -bash: sbot: command not found

is because you haven't installed the package through "sudo python
setup.py install" (which I'm not sure if works on Mac). You have to
specify the local sbot file like

./sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot

Let us know if that worked, or which error popped up.
Also, feel free to create an issue on GitHub so we can better track the
OSX compatibility issue.

:r

> Regards
> -u

Re: shoebot-ide

Ricardo Lafuente-4
On 07/23/2014 12:28 PM, Ricardo Lafuente wrote:
> is because you haven't installed the package through "sudo python
> setup.py install" (which I'm not sure if works on Mac).

I just noticed you said you did an install, please disregard this
comment. It's strange that sbot isn't found by the system -- if I
remember correctly, MacPorts installs its binaries in /opt/local/bin,
can you confirm that "sbot" is there?

Sorry for the less than helpful comments, but most of us work on
GNU/Linux systems, and though we'd be happy to support OSX properly,
it's a real struggle without having the hardware nearby. Let us know of
your progress!

>> Regards
>> -u

Re: shoebot-ide

Stuart Axon
   I had a play in a vm and managed to get shoebot (without the IDE) working.

At the moment it needs setting up manually with homebrew - it's a bit of a pain, but works in the end -

You'll need to:

Install XQuartz

Install homebrew

Install gtk, pygtk and python with homebrew:
$ brew install gtk+ pygtk python

edit ~/.bash_profile to use homebrew binaries instead of the system ones.
$ echo export PATH='/usr/local/bin:$PATH' >> ~/.bash_profile

Install virtualenvwrapper:
$ pip install virtualenvwrapper
$ echo source /usr/local/bin/virtualenvwrapper.sh >> ~/.bash_profile

$ source ~/.bash_profile

Create and setup shoebot virtualenv
$ mkvirtualenv shoebot --site-packages

# Clone shoebot from git and change to its directory
$ cd shoebot

$ sed -e '/^#/d' -e '/gtk/d' -e '/rsvg/d' -e '/pycairo/d' requirements.txt | xargs pip install
$ python setup.py install

# If all the above worked you should be able to run the examples

$ sbot -w examples/animation/hynoval.bot

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:47 PM, Ricardo Lafuente <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for the late response to the thread.

I'd say forget the IDE, it's a really old piece of code that I'd be
surprised works at all.
The way to try this on MacOS would be through the sbot command. The
error you get,

On 07/16/2014 07:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> For sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot
> Terminal report:
> -bash: sbot: command not found

is because you haven't installed the package through "sudo python
setup.py install" (which I'm not sure if works on Mac). You have to
specify the local sbot file like

./sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot

Let us know if that worked, or which error popped up.
Also, feel free to create an issue on GitHub so we can better track the
OSX compatibility issue.

:r

> Regards
> -u

Re: shoebot-ide

ugajin

Sorry to hear the ide is legacy and not worth pursuing, and I am at a
total loss what else to try, and any help will be much appreciated.

You ask if sbot is in opt/local/bin, it is not.
The Python MacPort installs to opt/local/library
and shoebot installed in site-packages. The full path to sbot.py is:
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7

/site-packages/shoebot/sbot.py
The the examples directory is in another shoebot folder located in the
share directory and hypnoval.bot is in:
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/share/shoebot

/examples/animation/hypnoval.bot

I hope the above may help with suggestions.
I posted query to shoebot-dev, but I have not heard further since
posting reply.

Many thanks

-u

On 07/23/2014 12:28 PM, Ricardo Lafuente wrote:
> is because you haven't installed the package through "sudo python
> setup.py install" (which I'm not sure if works on Mac).

I just noticed you said you did an install, please disregard this
comment. It's strange that sbot isn't found by the system -- if I
remember correctly, MacPorts installs its binaries in /opt/local/bin,
can you confirm that "sbot" is there?

Sorry for the less than helpful comments, but most of us work on
GNU/Linux systems, and though we'd be happy to support OSX properly,
it's a real struggle without having the hardware nearby. Let us know of
your progress!

>> Regards
>> -u

Re: shoebot-ide

ugajin

Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to run both Macports and
Homebrew.

-u

$ git clone https://github.com/shoebot/shoebot.git

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for the late response to the thread.

I'd say forget the IDE, it's a really old piece of code that I'd be
surprised works at all.
The way to try this on MacOS would be through the sbot command. The
error you get,

On 07/16/2014 07:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> For sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot
> Terminal report:
> -bash: sbot: command not found

is because you haven't installed the package through "sudo python
setup.py install" (which I'm not sure if works on Mac). You have to
specify the local sbot file like

./sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot

Let us know if that worked, or which error popped up.
Also, feel free to create an issue on GitHub so we can better track the
OSX compatibility issue.

:r

> Regards
> -u

Re: shoebot-ide

Stuart Axon
I'm not really a mac user (I used a VM to work out the above).

The main thing you need to get working is pygtk - which has a dependency on gtk+ 2.

If you can install these using homebrew, then get to a point where the following works without an error:

$ python
import pygtk
import gtk

Then I can probably help you from there.

From google it looks like you need to install:
py27-pygtk

(pygtk for python 2.7)

Good luck !

S++

Hi,

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for the late response to the thread.

I'd say forget the IDE, it's a really old piece of code that I'd be
surprised works at all.
The way to try this on MacOS would be through the sbot command. The
error you get,

On 07/16/2014 07:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> For sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot
> Terminal report:
> -bash: sbot: command not found

is because you haven't installed the package through "sudo python
setup.py install" (which I'm not sure if works on Mac). You have to
specify the local sbot file like

./sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot

Let us know if that worked, or which error popped up.
Also, feel free to create an issue on GitHub so we can better track the
OSX compatibility issue.

:r

> Regards
> -u

Re: shoebot-ide

ugajin
Hi

There are no issues running import pygtk, but there is an issue with
gtk;
>>> import gtk
** (process:1562): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for the late response to the thread.

I'd say forget the IDE, it's a really old piece of code that I'd be
surprised works at all.
The way to try this on MacOS would be through the sbot command. The
error you get,

On 07/16/2014 07:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> For sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot
> Terminal report:
> -bash: sbot: command not found

is because you haven't installed the package through "sudo python
setup.py install" (which I'm not sure if works on Mac). You have to
specify the local sbot file like

./sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot

Let us know if that worked, or which error popped up.
Also, feel free to create an issue on GitHub so we can better track the
OSX compatibility issue.

:r

> Regards
> -u

Re: shoebot-ide

Stuart Axon
Hi,
  I've just been installed macports on my VM and shoebot - I'll update the documentation shortly.    The warning you were getting doesn't stop shoebot from working :)

- Try changing to the shoebot directory and see what happens when you run Ricardos suggestion of running

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for the late response to the thread.

I'd say forget the IDE, it's a really old piece of code that I'd be
surprised works at all.
The way to try this on MacOS would be through the sbot command. The
error you get,

On 07/16/2014 07:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> For sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot
> Terminal report:
> -bash: sbot: command not found

is because you haven't installed the package through "sudo python
setup.py install" (which I'm not sure if works on Mac). You have to
specify the local sbot file like

./sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot

Let us know if that worked, or which error popped up.
Also, feel free to create an issue on GitHub so we can better track the
OSX compatibility issue.

:r

> Regards
> -u

Re: shoebot-ide

ugajin
Hi,

I don't understand what you intend by 'try changing the sboebot
directory.

I am currently running XQuartz 2.7.4, I will upgrade this to 2.7.6

-u

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for the late response to the thread.

I'd say forget the IDE, it's a really old piece of code that I'd be
surprised works at all.
The way to try this on MacOS would be through the sbot command. The
error you get,

On 07/16/2014 07:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> For sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot
> Terminal report:
> -bash: sbot: command not found

is because you haven't installed the package through "sudo python
setup.py install" (which I'm not sure if works on Mac). You have to
specify the local sbot file like

./sbot -w examples/animation/hypnoval.bot

Let us know if that worked, or which error popped up.
Also, feel free to create an issue on GitHub so we can better track the
OSX compatibility issue.

:r

> Regards
> -u

Re: shoebot-ide

Stuart Axon
   Sorry I mistyped - I meant try changing INTO the shoebot directory :)

Try starting afresh with these new instructions:
github.com/shoebot/shoebot/wiki/OSXInstall

Also - for the IDE:
sudo port install gtksourceview2 +quartz +no_x1ll
sudo port install py27-gtksourceview +quartz +no_x1ll
./install/setup_virtualenv.sh -c

I've tested installing multiple times with macports in the last few days and it seems to work

http://imgur.com/TP6lLt0 [ screenshot showing clock example ]
http://imgur.com/xQPqX3t [ IDE and boids example ]

There is a slight bug in Gtk which means shoebot will start behind the current top window on OSX.

The IDE:

The IDE still works though its a bit untested, the main feature it's missing compared to the GEdit plugin is the menu showing all the examples.

Years ago we decided that is was too much hassle to support an IDE and went for a plugin, there was some interest in an IDE at Libre Graphics Meeting though.

If we merged the code for the IDE and the text editor plugins it would probably solve this problem, though that is probably quite far off.

Any patches submitted will be merged :)

S++

Re: shoebot-ide

Stuart Axon
You should be able to

sudo port uninstall (name)

where (name) is any of the things you have installed.

I'll try and add a cleanup section to that doc in the next few days.

If you have any trouble just put a post here + can try and debug it - it's good since I'm learning macports too ;)

S++

   Sorry I mistyped - I meant try changing INTO the shoebot directory :)

Try starting afresh with these new instructions:
github.com/shoebot/shoebot/wiki/OSXInstall

Also - for the IDE:
sudo port install gtksourceview2 +quartz +no_x1ll

sudo port install py27-gtksourceview +quartz +no_x1ll

./install/setup_virtualenv.sh -c

Hi

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate your effort on my behalf.

How do I get rid of, or undo what I have done so far, or should I
simply ignore it?

kind regards.

-u