osx install

gabor papp
hi all,

i'm trying to install shoebot on osx 10.5 following the descriptions on
http://shoebot.net/download/

i had to use the following instead of the pycairo and python-gtk2
macports packages mentioned on the page.
sudo port install py-cairo py-gtk2

install works fine, although py-cairo is installed for macports
python2.4, so i had to change the first line of sbot and shoebot-ide to
#!/opt/local/bin/python2.4
from
#!/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python

but when i try to run sbot from the command line it hangs up. it seems
it does it while importing gtk. is anyone using shoebot in osx?

any help would be appreciated.

best,
gabor

Re: osx install

Sebastian Oliva
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM, gabor papp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i'm trying to install shoebot on osx 10.5 following the descriptions on
> http://shoebot.net/download/
>
> i had to use the following instead of the pycairo and python-gtk2 macports
> packages mentioned on the page.
> sudo port install py-cairo py-gtk2
>
> install works fine, although py-cairo is installed for macports python2.4,
> so i had to change the first line of sbot and shoebot-ide to
> #!/opt/local/bin/python2.4
> from
> #!/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
>
> but when i try to run sbot from the command line it hangs up. it seems it
> does it while importing gtk. is anyone using shoebot in osx?
>
> any help would be appreciated.

Hello,
We are not currently testing Shoebot on Mac OS X, I think it also
depends on Python 2.6 which is installed by default on Tiger and next;
might I suggest you try Nodebox instead, also you could try using the
console interface.

Greetings

Re: osx install

gabor papp
hi Sebastian,

thanks for your reply. it's not a problem that you are not testing
shoebot on osx, because i would. i tried to install pycairo for other
python versions from macports, py25-cairo and py26-cairo, but all of
them have the same problem. the scripts hang on the line import gtk. i'm
not sure how to fix this, but it's surely not a shoebot issue. might be
a macports problem, or some installation mixup on my computer.

nodebox is not an option for me unfortunately, because i need a cross
platform solution. the final scripts have to work at least on linux and
osx. nodebox and the console interface works fine on the other hand.

best,
gabor

Re: osx install

ricardo lafuente
hi Gabor,

i did the original instructions for getting Shoebot running on Mac; i
will try with SnowLeo to see if it still works.

however, if i remember correctly, only the command-line Shoebot would
work. I really didn't try to get the GUI running, or an animation script
(both of these make use of GTK). Are you planning to make use of any of
these?

i think the problem is in OSX's GTK version. We could think about
hacking together a small Quartz alternative to GTK in order to work in
OSX systems...

On 10/12/2010 08:38 AM, gabor papp wrote:

> hi Sebastian,
>
> thanks for your reply. it's not a problem that you are not testing
> shoebot on osx, because i would. i tried to install pycairo for other
> python versions from macports, py25-cairo and py26-cairo, but all of
> them have the same problem. the scripts hang on the line import gtk. i'm
> not sure how to fix this, but it's surely not a shoebot issue. might be
> a macports problem, or some installation mixup on my computer.
>
> nodebox is not an option for me unfortunately, because i need a cross
> platform solution. the final scripts have to work at least on linux and
> osx. nodebox and the console interface works fine on the other hand.
>
> best,
> gabor

Re: osx install

gabor papp
hi Ricardo,

> i did the original instructions for getting Shoebot running on Mac; i
> will try with SnowLeo to see if it still works.
i'm trying to install it on osx 10.5, so if you did the instructions on
leopard it should work for me, shouldn't it?

> however, if i remember correctly, only the command-line Shoebot would
> work. I really didn't try to get the GUI running, or an animation script
the command line version would be perfect, i'm not planning to do
animations or use the gui.

thanks.
gabor

Re: osx install

ricardo lafuente
On 10/12/2010 09:52 AM, gabor papp wrote:
> hi Ricardo,
>
>> i did the original instructions for getting Shoebot running on Mac; i
>> will try with SnowLeo to see if it still works.
> i'm trying to install it on osx 10.5, so if you did the instructions on
> leopard it should work for me, shouldn't it?

it should indeed.

>> however, if i remember correctly, only the command-line Shoebot would
>> work. I really didn't try to get the GUI running, or an animation script
> the command line version would be perfect, i'm not planning to do
> animations or use the gui.

odd. I can't see why it's trying to call GTK then.

i'll try and test this in a moment, but in the meantime let me know if
you get the line of code that is calling GTK when you try to run sbot
from the command line.

Re: osx install

gabor papp
> odd. I can't see why it's trying to call GTK then.
importing gtk hangs up for some reason. it does not have to call it. but
as you told me gtk is not needed i removed the imports from sbot, and
the command line version works.
i removed import gtk line from data/input_devices.py

and commented out the following line in sbot:
from shoebot.gui import ShoebotWindow

thanks for your help,
gabor

Re: osx install