couple questions

Kursad Karatas
Hi

Thank you for developing this simplified app. I have just started
messing around with it, so far I am enjoying it.

I have couple questions

-How can I plot a single pixel? I can use the line I guess but I was
wondering if there is a single pixel plot.

-Is it possible to use mouse to plot shapes or pixels?

-I am trying to set up it with Vim, so I need to know the windowed mode
parameters. The page about windowed mode is empty on the web site

-Are there plans to support 3d environment at some point?

-The reference page links to nodebox site which is fine. I am wondering
if Shoebot offers more or less commands than Nodebox? It would be great
to get little extra documentation. I will also try checking out the
sources.
I am not a programmer so personally as a user I prefer more streamlined
documentation :)

thanks

Re: couple questions

Stuart Axon

Like nodebox, everything is based around the idea of paths.

One thing you can try is using snapshot() to a cairo ImageSurface
at the end of a frame.

At the beginning of the next frame, pass the ImageSurface to
an Image as it's data parameter (I'm not 100% sure if this'll
work though).
- Doing it this way you have another advantage in that you can
draw whatever you like.

At the moment, plotting individual pixels with anything python
based can be pretty slow though - hopefully when the next
version of PyPy comes out shoebot will work in it; this would
give us a fast python.

-Is it possible to
> use mouse to plot shapes or pixels?

-I am trying to set up it with Vim,
> so I need to know the windowed mode
parameters. The page about windowed mode
> is empty on the web site

I think the only parameters needed are -w
to run it in the window.

-Are there plans to support 3d environment at
> some point?

Definitely... possibly :)  It's something we've talked about on
the mailing list about a little.  Not quite sure how it's going
to fit into the grammar overall.

Myself, I'm keen to try out the combination of shoebot and
blender, after blender 2.6 comes out.

-The reference page links to nodebox site which is fine. I am
> wondering
if Shoebot offers more or less commands than Nodebox? It would be
> great
to get little extra documentation. I will also try checking out
> the
sources.
I am not a programmer so personally as a user I prefer more
> streamlined
documentation
> :)

At the moment, some key things don't work, Ricardo is looking
at releasing 0.3 soon which some more of these.

Going forward, I'd like to fix as many of the missing bits as
possible in the version afterwards.

thanks

Re: couple questions

Kursad Karatas
On 6/13/2010 10:43 AM, Stuart Axon wrote:
> [...]

Hi thanks for the reply.

I really think that it would make sense to have single pixel plotting
function, even a slow one. What is interesting is that, I tried looking
at various graphics libraries before Shoebot, and I could not locate a
single pixel plotter.

The windowed mode works well with the Gedit plugin but I am a Vim user
and when I use the windowed mode, the window does not stay open at all.
Is there a native method to keep it open? I can use keyboard input etc
solutions but I am looking for built in method for streamlining it.

As far as Blender goes, Shoebot would be a great addition to existing
Blender tool arsenal. I think that Shoebot would make a perfect
texture-brush engine. Even inside the Blender compositor we could have a
use for it, like using it to write some pattern generators, simple
filters etc.

Re: couple questions

Stuart Axon
I don't use vim, what sort of things would it need to make windowed mode useful?
It might be worth opening a bug on trac.

Re: couple questions

Kursad Karatas
On 6/15/2010 6:05 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:
> I don't use vim, what sort of things would it need to make windowed mode useful?
> It might be worth opening a bug on trac.

not sure, is not windowed mode the one with a window ?:) I need a window
to see the result, I am not rendering to image file. Maybe it is called
something else. I am trying to get a similar usability to what Gedit
plugin has at the moment.

--
Kursad Karatas
http://portfolio.plecxus.com/

Re: couple questions

Stuart Axon
Then it should be as simple as

$ sbot -w mybot.bot

If you type
$ sbot --help

There is help for every parameter

 S++

> On 6/15/2010 6:05 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:
> I don't use vim, what sort of
> things would it need to make windowed mode useful?
> It might be worth
> opening a bug on trac.

not sure, is not windowed mode the one with a window
> ?:) I need a window
to see the result, I am not rendering to image file.
> Maybe it is called
something else. I am trying to get a similar usability to
> what Gedit
plugin has at the moment.

--
Kursad
> Karatas
http://portfolio.plecxus.com/

Re: couple questions

Kursad Karatas
On 6/15/2010 7:07 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:

> Then it should be as simple as
>
> $ sbot -w mybot.bot
>
> If you type
> $ sbot --help
>
> There is help for every parameter
>
>  S++

Yeah that is what I have been trying. But the windows does not stay
open. As soon as  it finishes running the code it closes itself.

Re: couple questions

Stuart Axon
Ah, ok thts a bug then.
I've fixed this in my branch..
http://bitbucket.org/stuaxo/shoebot-dq/

however other things (for instance clip paths) are broken.

You might also try making your bot an animation, try having
setup() And
draw()

should be enough (I'm not in front of a computer now so can't check)

On Wed Jun 16th, 2010 1:20 AM BST Kursad Karatas wrote:

>On 6/15/2010 7:07 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:
>> Then it should be as simple as
>>
>> $ sbot -w mybot.bot
>>
>> If you type
>> $ sbot --help
>>
>> There is help for every parameter
>>
>>  S++
>>
>Yeah that is what I have been trying. But the windows does not stay
>open. As soon as  it finishes running the code it closes itself.

Re: couple questions

Stuart Axon
Btw if I get time I'll see if I can fix this in the main branch

On Wed Jun 16th, 2010 7:13 AM BST Stuart Axon wrote:

>Ah, ok thts a bug then.
>I've fixed this in my branch..
>http://bitbucket.org/stuaxo/shoebot-dq/
>
>however other things (for instance clip paths) are broken.
>

>You might also try making your bot an animation, try having
>setup() And
>draw()
>
>should be enough (I'm not in front of a computer now so can't check)
>
>On Wed Jun 16th, 2010 1:20 AM BST Kursad Karatas wrote:
>
>>On 6/15/2010 7:07 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:
>>> Then it should be as simple as
>>>
>>> $ sbot -w mybot.bot
>>>
>>> If you type
>>> $ sbot --help
>>>
>>> There is help for every parameter
>>>
>>>  S++
>>>
>>Yeah that is what I have been trying. But the windows does not stay
>>open. As soon as  it finishes running the code it closes itself.

Re: couple questions

Stuart Axon
  Sorry for the delay - but I've pushed a fix for this to the main branch now

https://code.goto10.org/hg/shoebot

S++

> On 6/15/2010 7:07 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:
> Then it should be as simple
> as
>
> $ sbot -w mybot.bot
>
> If you type
> $
> sbot --help
>
> There is help for every
> parameter
>
>  S++

Yeah that is what I have
> been trying. But the windows does not stay
open. As soon as  it finishes
> running the code it closes
> itself.

Re: couple questions

Kursad Karatas
On 6/20/2010 4:34 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:
> Hi,
>   Sorry for the delay - but I've pushed a fix for this to the main branch now
>
> https://code.goto10.org/hg/shoebot
>
> S++

Thanks for the fix