Test branch... think about releasing?

Stuart Axon
Recently I've fixed some missing pieces in my branch, if anyone has time to try
and find any holes it would be good.

If it's working well we should probably make that a release (as 0.3 or 0.4).

We definitely need to get a release out as it's pretty dead on here.
What we shouldn't do is put things in the way of various releases (even with the
best of intentions).

At the moment we have this situation:
We don't want to release 0.3 without a test framework (stalled)
We don't want to release my branch (0.4?) without 0.3
I suggested not switching VCS until my branch is merged.

My suggestion:  Get my branch tested, merged and released.
We can then switch VCS if we want.

What needs to happen:
Test bots on my branch.   I've been doing this, but more people would definitely
help.
The main area I haven't done anything in my branch is the socketserver, it
shouldn't be too much work to port any missing stuff from 0.3 over; I'll have a
look in the next few days.

 S++

Re: Test branch... think about releasing?

ricardo lafuente
On 09/15/2010 04:19 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:
> We definitely need to get a release out as it's pretty dead on here.

You're definitely right, mea culpa here. I've been swamped in other work
and couldn't sit down properly to take care of this. Plus, i've found
some lurking bugs in the meantime which need fixing before a release.
Thanks for waking up the list (and thanks Dave for the useful references
in the meantime)!

> What we shouldn't do is put things in the way of various releases (even with the
> best of intentions).
>
> At the moment we have this situation:
> We don't want to release 0.3 without a test framework (stalled)
> We don't want to release my branch (0.4?) without 0.3
> I suggested not switching VCS until my branch is merged.

Thanks for this wrap-up. I agree with all of the above.

So, the roadmap for 0.3:
- fix outstanding critical bugs (e.g. saving from GTK window is broken)
- put out a simple unit test framework with some simple tests. We can
add more later.
- separate the Shoebot core and the external libs.
- make a 'stable' release of 0.3.

And then, roadmap for 0.4:
- run the unit tests and go through some use tests.
- as soon as there's feature-parity, and critical issues are ironed out,
we merge branches and release 0.4.
- in the meantime, we can have the 0.3 branch as the 'stable' one and
0.4 as 'unstable'.

Does this sound good? Feel free do disagree.

Stuff that 0.4 needs to have before release:
- working external libs (lsystem, colors, etc.), or at least most of them
- socket server (i can work on this, and believe it's a must-have.)

Post-0.4 roadmap:
- Switch VCS
- Consider releasing a 1.0 version. The main goal of Shoebot was to
replicate Nodebox, and this is mostly achieved by now. 0.x releases tend
to give the idea of an incomplete or not-yet-fully-working program, and
maybe it's time that we make the leap.

> What needs to happen:
> Test bots on my branch.   I've been doing this, but more people would definitely
> help.

Will do.

> The main area I haven't done anything in my branch is the socketserver, it
> shouldn't be too much work to port any missing stuff from 0.3 over; I'll have a
> look in the next few days.

Thanks for all your work :-)

Re: Test branch... think about releasing?

Stuart Axon

It might be OK to just disable the functionality for this release - if it gets
the release out quicker (especially as this is working in the 0.4 branch).

> - put out a simple unit test  framework with some simple tests. We can add more
>later.

We should take the path of least resistance here - if it's too difficult for it
to generate pictures we can delay this.

> - separate the  Shoebot core and the external libs.
> - make a 'stable' release of  0.3.
>
> And then, roadmap for 0.4:
> - run the unit tests and go through  some use tests.

Yes this seems good - I would really like to make sure that 0.4 doesn't regress
any functionality.

> - as soon as there's feature-parity, and critical issues are  ironed out, we
>merge branches and release 0.4.
> - in the meantime, we can have  the 0.3 branch as the 'stable' one and 0.4 as
>'unstable'.
>
> Does this sound  good? Feel free do disagree.
>
> Stuff that 0.4 needs to have before  release:
> - working external libs (lsystem, colors, etc.), or at least most of  them

We need to work out issues WRT external libs (for instance do we use the nodebox
or shoebot namespace).
I'd suggest pushing this to post 0.5, as ideally we would be working with
nodebox on this - making this a dependency on the merge just complicates things.

> - socket server (i can work on this, and believe it's a  must-have.)

Definitely - I probably just need some pointers on how this is supposed to work.

> Post-0.4 roadmap:
> - Switch VCS
> - Consider releasing a  1.0 version. The main goal of Shoebot was to replicate
>Nodebox, and this is  mostly achieved by now. 0.x releases tend to give the idea
>of an incomplete or  not-yet-fully-working program, and maybe it's time that we
>make the  leap.

My main worry is that we block 0.3 and 0.4 releases and as nothing happens the
project dies.
Ideally we'd have the testing framework working in 0.3 to test functionality is
still working for 0.4 - so far I've been testing bots on an ad-hoc basis.

0.4 already has a bunch of bugfixes in it that are not in 0.3 - I'm not sure
that it's worth backporting them to 0.3 is worth it, the architecture is
different, and it may not be the best use of our time (if the architecture in
0.4 is found to be good).

If something doesn't work in 0.2 then it's fine for it to not work in 0.3
If something works in previous versions but works in 0.4, should we really spend
the time to fix it?

As we don't have a test framework right now, we can compromise by making a list
of all the bots in lib and examples and running them in 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 (and
nodebox if possible (see my other email for a start on this))
Maybe if 0.4 can run all the bots that 0.3 can we could consider it ready.

In summary, I'm in favour of more releases often - instead of setting too many
goals that could take too long.
I worry that even if we set modest goals apart from 0.4 getting feature parity
with 0.3 it'll end up not happening - we can push some things to future releases
(+ more releases will be good anyway).

As for 1.0, I think we can probably have compatibility on everything except for
more tricky things like filters (based on cocoa in nodebox).

In the long term I think we can probably consider merging back with nodebox

> > What needs to happen:
> > Test bots on my branch.    I've been doing this, but more people would
>definitely
> > help.
>
> Will  do.
>
> > The main area I haven't done anything in my branch is the  socketserver, it
> > shouldn't be too much work to port any missing stuff  from 0.3 over; I'll
>have a
> > look in the next few days.
>
> Thanks for  all your work  :-)

Re: Test branch... think about releasing?

francesco fantoni
stuart, is your branch the shoebot-dq at bitbucket?
what are the minimum requirements to run it? I have problems in display,
I only get a black window when I run a script.

francesco

Il giorno mer, 15/09/2010 alle 08.19 -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:

> Recently I've fixed some missing pieces in my branch, if anyone has time to try
> and find any holes it would be good.
>
> If it's working well we should probably make that a release (as 0.3 or 0.4).
>
> We definitely need to get a release out as it's pretty dead on here.
> What we shouldn't do is put things in the way of various releases (even with the
> best of intentions).
>
> At the moment we have this situation:
> We don't want to release 0.3 without a test framework (stalled)
> We don't want to release my branch (0.4?) without 0.3
> I suggested not switching VCS until my branch is merged.
>
> My suggestion:  Get my branch tested, merged and released.
> We can then switch VCS if we want.
>

> What needs to happen:
> Test bots on my branch.   I've been doing this, but more people would definitely
> help.
> The main area I haven't done anything in my branch is the socketserver, it
> shouldn't be too much work to port any missing stuff from 0.3 over; I'll have a
> look in the next few days.
>

>  S++

Re: Test branch... think about releasing?

Stuart Axon

I haven't tested in linux for quite a bit, but it should be fine there (btw what
OS are you on?).

Python 2.6 and a fairly recent version of cairo 1.8.x is needed.
If your on Linux and having trouble I could probably try and find a VM of the
same distro to try and diagnose any problems.

> Il giorno mer, 15/09/2010 alle  08.19 -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:
> > Recently I've fixed some missing  pieces in my branch, if anyone has time to
>try
>
> > and find any holes it  would be good.
> >
> > If it's working well we should probably make  that a release (as 0.3 or
0.4).

> > We definitely need to get a  release out as it's pretty dead on here.
> > What we shouldn't do is put  things in the way of various releases (even with
>the
>
> > best of  intentions).
> >
> > At the moment we have this situation:
> > We  don't want to release 0.3 without a test framework (stalled)
> > We don't  want to release my branch (0.4?) without 0.3
> > I suggested not switching  VCS until my branch is merged.
> >
> > My suggestion:  Get my  branch tested, merged and released.
> > We can then switch VCS if we  want.
> >

> > What needs to happen:
> > Test bots  on my branch.   I've been doing this, but more people would
>definitely
>
> > help.
> > The main area I haven't done anything in my branch is the  socketserver, it
> > shouldn't be too much work to port any missing stuff  from 0.3 over; I'll
>have a
>
> > look in the next few days.
> >

> >  S++

Re: Test branch... think about releasing?

francesco fantoni
I'm on Lucid Ubuntu.
cairo version is 1.8.10-2ubuntu1.

btw, I have pulled latest shoebot from
https://code.goto10.org/hg/shoebot (I had not used it for a long long
time), and I'm testing here and there.
I think I fixed the problem with color library, but I've forgotten my
goto10 mercurial password, so I can't commit it.
I'm testing svg library now, and it seems it's not working either, does
it work for you?

best
francesco

Il giorno mer, 15/09/2010 alle 12.05 -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:

> [...]

It might be worth deleting anything from previous versions - I've found they
seem to clash so I delete everything under
C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\shoebot*
and
C:\Python26\Scripts\sbot*

> > Il giorno mer, 15/09/2010 alle  08.19  -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:
> > > Recently I've fixed some  missing  pieces in my branch, if anyone has time
>
> >try
> >
> > > and find any holes it  would be good.
> > >
> > > If it's working well we should probably make  that a release  (as 0.3 or
> 0.4).
> > >
> > > We definitely need to get  a  release out as it's pretty dead on here.
> > > What we shouldn't  do is put  things in the way of various releases (even
>with
>
> >the
> >
> > > best of  intentions).
> > >
> > > At  the moment we have this situation:
> > > We  don't want to release  0.3 without a test framework (stalled)
> > > We don't  want to  release my branch (0.4?) without 0.3
> > > I suggested not  switching  VCS until my branch is merged.
> > >
> > > My  suggestion:  Get my  branch tested, merged and released.
> > >  We can then switch VCS if we  want.
> > >

> >  > What needs to happen:
> > > Test bots  on my  branch.   I've been doing this, but more people would
> >definitely
> >
> > > help.
> > > The main area I haven't done anything  in my branch is the  socketserver,
>it
>
> > > shouldn't be too much  work to port any missing stuff  from 0.3 over; I'll

> >have a
> >
> > > look in the next few days.
> > >

> > >  S++

Re: Test branch... think about releasing?

Stuart Axon

OK, I've got an ubuntu VM somewhere I'll give it a try in the next few days.

> btw, I have  pulled latest shoebot from
> https://code.goto10.org/hg/shoebot (I had not used it for a  long long
> time), and I'm testing here and there.
> I think I fixed the  problem with color library, but I've forgotten my
> goto10 mercurial password,  so I can't commit it.
> I'm testing svg library now, and it seems it's not  working either, does
> it work for you?

It's quite possible I might have broken this a while back when I tried to
upgrade to the latest svg library from nodebox.
I had a bit of a go at fixing this the other day (and putting back
parse_as_dict), but it's tricky without knowing what the output is really
supposed to be.
If you have any tests for svg where you know what the output is supposed to be
it would very useful.

S++

> best
> francesco

I've found the problem - it's a problem with my implementation of path.copy()
[if you don't use copy it works]  I'm working on it now.

> best
> francesco

I've fixed colors and svg library on the main trunk, but can't commit it
as I've forgotten/lost my account data for the goto10 mercurial repo.
damn :) too long without contributing...

francesco

Il giorno mer, 15/09/2010 alle 13.10 -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:

> [...]

Have to wake up Ricardo !

Maybe poke him through the facebook group ?

I've got stuff working on my branch too (except #2 doesn't show anything as
maybe my colours are wrong).

Could you send me a screenshot of what thats supposed to look like?

retrieved my password and committed.
Hope I didn't mess anything...

now svg examples seem to work, and colors library examples too, though
I'm not sure the output is what is supposed to be, tomorrow I will see
if I can check it in nodebox.
Hope I can help a bit now, though I have been away too long and have
forgotten almost anything.

francesco

Il giorno mer, 15/09/2010 alle 13.20 -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:

> [...]

how about releasing what is supposed to be 0.3 or 0.4 as 1.0 if major
bugs can be ironed out?
we had an almost complete nodebox spec working after all.

francesco

Il giorno mer, 15/09/2010 alle 16.56 +0100, ricardo lafuente ha scritto:

> On 09/15/2010 04:19 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:
> > We definitely need to get a release out as it's pretty dead on here.
>
> You're definitely right, mea culpa here. I've been swamped in other work
> and couldn't sit down properly to take care of this. Plus, i've found
> some lurking bugs in the meantime which need fixing before a release.
> Thanks for waking up the list (and thanks Dave for the useful references
> in the meantime)!
>
> > What we shouldn't do is put things in the way of various releases (even with the
> > best of intentions).
> >
> > At the moment we have this situation:
> > We don't want to release 0.3 without a test framework (stalled)
> > We don't want to release my branch (0.4?) without 0.3
> > I suggested not switching VCS until my branch is merged.
>
> Thanks for this wrap-up. I agree with all of the above.
>
> So, the roadmap for 0.3:
> - fix outstanding critical bugs (e.g. saving from GTK window is broken)
> - put out a simple unit test framework with some simple tests. We can
> add more later.
> - separate the Shoebot core and the external libs.
> - make a 'stable' release of 0.3.
>
> And then, roadmap for 0.4:
> - run the unit tests and go through some use tests.
> - as soon as there's feature-parity, and critical issues are ironed out,
> we merge branches and release 0.4.
> - in the meantime, we can have the 0.3 branch as the 'stable' one and
> 0.4 as 'unstable'.
>
> Does this sound good? Feel free do disagree.
>
> Stuff that 0.4 needs to have before release:
> - working external libs (lsystem, colors, etc.), or at least most of them
> - socket server (i can work on this, and believe it's a must-have.)
>
> Post-0.4 roadmap:
> - Switch VCS
> - Consider releasing a 1.0 version. The main goal of Shoebot was to
> replicate Nodebox, and this is mostly achieved by now. 0.x releases tend
> to give the idea of an incomplete or not-yet-fully-working program, and
> maybe it's time that we make the leap.
>
> > What needs to happen:
> > Test bots on my branch.   I've been doing this, but more people would definitely
> > help.
>
> Will do.
>
> > The main area I haven't done anything in my branch is the socketserver, it
> > shouldn't be too much work to port any missing stuff from 0.3 over; I'll have a
> > look in the next few days.
>
> Thanks for all your work :-)

Re: Test branch... think about releasing?

Stuart Axon

It makes sense to me.  I'd prefer to do it after a merge:
Some of the fixes would be hard to backport (and were part of the reason for
changing the way things are rendered).

In particular:  The way that size() and background() work
(see the mailing list archives).
I've also been doing various fixes as I go too, I can't remember all of them
but an example would be:  _bug_FillStrokeNofillNostroke.bot

This could probably be fixed in 0.3 too, but the drawing method is completely
different.  If we go with the defered render model, any fix to this in 0.3 would
get thrown away once we merge.

The merge isn't really a big thing as I've been pulling in changes from the main
branch (there haven't been many really anyway).

If we release 0.3 as 1.0 then quickly follow it with a merge of 0.4 as 1.1
then it would probably be confusing for any new developers.

On 09/15/2010 09:20 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:
> Have to wake up Ricardo !

Sorry guys, was netless at an event at our hackerspace!
Glad the memory of the password came back :)

> Maybe poke him through the facebook group ?

We should probably delete this. It has no activity (and i can't really
see how to generate some), and it does give away the look of abandoned
things...