Shoebot DQ documentation

Stuart Axon
I've put up some documentation for shoebot-dq to explain the changes and
rational (+ changing the rendering system spawned quite a lot of changes).

https://bitbucket.org/stuaxo/shoebot-dq/wiki/Home

It's pretty close to not having regressions from 0.3, the only one I know about
is a problem with colours (run the nebula example to see), and of course it has
a bunch of changes

 S++

Re: Shoebot DQ documentation

Sebastian Oliva
On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Stuart Axon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've put up some documentation for shoebot-dq to explain the changes and
> rational (+ changing the rendering system spawned quite a lot of changes).
>
> https://bitbucket.org/stuaxo/shoebot-dq/wiki/Home
>
> It's pretty close to not having regressions from 0.3, the only one I know about
> is a problem with colours (run the nebula example to see), and of course it has
> a bunch of changes
>
>  S++

How's the current status of the typography, does it uses pango? Also,
can you use both the full name of the font, as well as the PostScript
Name?

Re: Shoebot DQ documentation

Stuart Axon

It does use pango, everything should be the same as in 0.3.
The bug where it wasn't the size of the font (and possibly other settings)
didn't work is fixed.
Things look fairly good to me (the path filters examples use textpath and seem
to look OK).

I'm not sure what the postscript name is, but it definitely works with names, I
changed at least one place to use the font name and not reference the ttf file.

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Stuart Axon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
I tried to run some sketches, and found problems in the font
rendering, on my samples at
http://github.com/tian2992/botboxvis
rotText.py fails at displaying any text, beat.py and tuftechart.py
display text in the default sans-serif font, and does not recognize if
there's a weight or stylistic variant on the font name
I think we need a bit of extra work on text rendering, I'll try to see
if i can do anything about it, but I'm really swamped right now :S

Re: Shoebot DQ documentation

Stuart Axon

Cool, what would really help are renderings of what their supposed to look like,
as the typography is the part I'm least familar with (this is basically the
shoebot code, so whoever wrote that probably knows better than me).

Re: Shoebot DQ documentation

Stuart Axon

Ah OK, I see... yeah if you understand even a little about pango it will be more
than I do.  I did a quick test on the tuft bot and noticed I've got the
Palentino font, but it's not using it.

Do you know if 0.3 does this correctly ?

> Cool,  what would really help are renderings of what their supposed to look
>like,
>
> as the typography is the part I'm least familar with (this is basically the
> shoebot code, so whoever wrote that probably knows better than  me).

Re: Shoebot DQ documentation

Stuart Axon
> > > I tried to run some sketches, and   found problems in the  font

> > > rendering, on my samples    at
> > > http://github.com/tian2992/botboxvis
> > > rotText.py fails at displaying any  text, beat.py and tuftechart.py
> > >  display text in the  default  sans-serif font, and does not recognize  if
> > > there's a  weight or stylistic  variant on the font  name
> > > I think we need a bit  of extra work on text   rendering, I'll try to see
> > > if i can do  anything about it, but  I'm really  swamped right now  :S

Ah, this was the victim of me moving some stuff around a long time ago.
I've made a small improvement; the setting actually gets to typography.py now,
although it get's a pango error:

shoebot\data\typography.py:221: PangoWarning: couldn't load font "Palatino
Not-Rotated 12px", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 12px", expect ugly output.

Re: Shoebot DQ documentation

Stuart Axon

BTW - If you do anything, remember to refork - I messed up my repository the
other day with a bad merge so I took it down and put it back up again, as I
couldn't work out how to fix it.

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Stuart Axon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
I destroyed my fork, and re made it.
The beat.py should create
http://www.sebastianoliva.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/beat2.png
rotText's jap() should do something like http://twitpic.com/2sf9e1
(the english one is slightly different looking).

found some docs on this thread
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-January/018918.html
, as it seems that's a bug on our side, so I'll check out on
typography.py __init__ as it seems the string gets parsed for
attributes instead of relying them for pango to parse.

I'll send you an API key for beat.py as well.