Shoebot 1.0b !

Ricardo Lafuente-4
Hi list!

So Libre Graphics Meeting 2014 is ongoing, and for the first time there
was a Shoebot developer meeting :-)

Stuart and I hosted a workshop/hackathon yesterday, which resulted in a
packed room of hackers doing beautiful new examples for inclusion in
Shoebot. It was also a great moment to see Stuart's exciting work in the
livecoding branch, and get some precious feedback from real-world usage(tm).

After discussing next moves, we decided it was well time to follow
Inkscape's example and move to a 1.0 release ASAP, since 0.x necessarily
convey a state of non-maturity. Shoebot has been continuously improved
for 7 years (yeah!), and we decided to ride the post-workshop excitement
and move things forward.

Some new things here:

* New Github hosted website; maintenance of the previous site was
hampering efforts to make it better, so we just rebooted it on Github's
platform.

* More examples!

* Small and not so small fixes. See the commit list for the poor-man's
changelog.

* The Sphinx docs are being improved and we'll hopefully have good news
in the next few weeks as I document what's not yet there.

So yes, Shoebot is alive and well :-) Let us know if you have any issue
you think should be looked at before we move to a 1.0 release +
announcement.

Cheers,
:r

Re: Shoebot 1.0b !

Ricardo Lafuente-4
And I forgot the most important detail: Shoebot is now on PyPI:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/shoebot/1.0b

On 04/04/2014 05:53 PM, Ricardo Lafuente wrote:

> Hi list!
>
> So Libre Graphics Meeting 2014 is ongoing, and for the first time there
> was a Shoebot developer meeting :-)
>
> Stuart and I hosted a workshop/hackathon yesterday, which resulted in a
> packed room of hackers doing beautiful new examples for inclusion in
> Shoebot. It was also a great moment to see Stuart's exciting work in the
> livecoding branch, and get some precious feedback from real-world usage(tm).
>
> After discussing next moves, we decided it was well time to follow
> Inkscape's example and move to a 1.0 release ASAP, since 0.x necessarily
> convey a state of non-maturity. Shoebot has been continuously improved
> for 7 years (yeah!), and we decided to ride the post-workshop excitement
> and move things forward.
>
> Some new things here:
>
> * New Github hosted website; maintenance of the previous site was
> hampering efforts to make it better, so we just rebooted it on Github's
> platform.
>
> * More examples!
>
> * Small and not so small fixes. See the commit list for the poor-man's
> changelog.
>
> * The Sphinx docs are being improved and we'll hopefully have good news
> in the next few weeks as I document what's not yet there.
>
> So yes, Shoebot is alive and well :-) Let us know if you have any issue
> you think should be looked at before we move to a 1.0 release +
> announcement.
>
> Cheers,
> :r

Re: Shoebot 1.0b !

juego
Hello Ricardo and shoebot list

Congrats on the workshop yesterday. It was awesome.

> * New Github hosted website; maintenance of the previous site was
> hampering efforts to make it better, so we just rebooted it on Github's
> platform.

About the site. If I may suggest. I think the
http://shoebot.github.io/shoebot/ is a bit too long and could be
simplified to http://shoebot.github.io (with now returns 404)

For this, you would only need to move the 'gh-pages' branch from the
'shoebot' named repo to a 'shoebot.github.io' named repo. This would
maybe also simplify updates to the website and separate it from the main
shoebot dev.

What do you think?

Julien

Re: Shoebot 1.0b !

francesco fantoni
Alleluja!!! these are great news indeed! congratulations to Ricardo and
Stuart for all the efforts!
long live shoebot!

francesco

Il giorno ven, 04/04/2014 alle 17.53 +0100, Ricardo Lafuente ha scritto:

> Hi list!
>
> So Libre Graphics Meeting 2014 is ongoing, and for the first time there
> was a Shoebot developer meeting :-)
>
> Stuart and I hosted a workshop/hackathon yesterday, which resulted in a
> packed room of hackers doing beautiful new examples for inclusion in
> Shoebot. It was also a great moment to see Stuart's exciting work in the
> livecoding branch, and get some precious feedback from real-world usage(tm).
>
> After discussing next moves, we decided it was well time to follow
> Inkscape's example and move to a 1.0 release ASAP, since 0.x necessarily
> convey a state of non-maturity. Shoebot has been continuously improved
> for 7 years (yeah!), and we decided to ride the post-workshop excitement
> and move things forward.
>
> Some new things here:
>
> * New Github hosted website; maintenance of the previous site was
> hampering efforts to make it better, so we just rebooted it on Github's
> platform.
>
> * More examples!
>
> * Small and not so small fixes. See the commit list for the poor-man's
> changelog.
>
> * The Sphinx docs are being improved and we'll hopefully have good news
> in the next few weeks as I document what's not yet there.
>
> So yes, Shoebot is alive and well :-) Let us know if you have any issue
> you think should be looked at before we move to a 1.0 release +
> announcement.
>
> Cheers,
> :r

Re: Shoebot 1.0b !

Stuart Axon
It was fantastic to see so lots of people using it and creating some really fun examples along with patches, docs and feedback.

Thanks to everyone that came :)

The future for shoebot should certainly be interesting ..

S++
On Friday, April 4, 2014 7:18 PM, "architetto francesco fantoni <hva - hermanitos verdes architetti>" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alleluja!!! these are great news indeed! congratulations to Ricardo and
Stuart for all the efforts!
long live shoebot!

francesco

Il giorno ven, 04/04/2014 alle 17.53 +0100, Ricardo Lafuente ha scritto:

> Hi list!
>
> So Libre Graphics Meeting 2014 is ongoing, and for the first time there
> was a Shoebot developer meeting :-)
>
> Stuart and I hosted a workshop/hackathon yesterday, which resulted in a
> packed room of hackers doing beautiful new examples for inclusion in
> Shoebot. It was also a great moment to see Stuart's exciting work in the
> livecoding branch, and get some precious feedback from real-world usage(tm).
>
> After discussing next moves, we decided it was well time to follow
> Inkscape's example and move to a 1.0 release ASAP, since 0.x necessarily
> convey a state of non-maturity. Shoebot has been continuously improved
> for 7 years (yeah!), and we decided to ride the post-workshop excitement
> and move things forward.
>
> Some new things here:
>
> * New Github hosted website; maintenance of the previous site was
> hampering efforts to make it better, so we just rebooted it on Github's
> platform.
>
> * More examples!
>
> * Small and not so small fixes. See the commit list for the poor-man's
> changelog.
>
> * The Sphinx docs are being improved and we'll hopefully have good news
> in the next few weeks as I document what's not yet there.
>
> So yes, Shoebot is alive and well :-) Let us know if you have any issue
> you think should be looked at before we move to a 1.0 release +
> announcement.
>
> Cheers,
> :r

Re: Shoebot 1.0b !

Ricardo Lafuente-4
Hi Julien,

Thank you so much for the easy explanation. I had used the
auto-generator in GitHub since 1. I haven't used GitHub pages before and
2. wanted to get something out as quickly as possible.
It's now up in a nicer URL:

https://github.com/shoebot/shoebot.github.io

The site is still plain HTML, which is what GitHub generates. I want to
change it to proper Jekyll Markdown so that it's easier to edit, as well
as customising the theme, but for now the current site is miles ahead of
the old shoebot.net.

I now realise that meeting up or working in parallel via IRC are great
ways to move things forward. Wondering if we could consider an online
hackathon in the near future? Perhaps even consider a physical meetup?

On 04/04/2014 06:03 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello Ricardo and shoebot list
>
> Congrats on the workshop yesterday. It was awesome.
>
>> * New Github hosted website; maintenance of the previous site was
>> hampering efforts to make it better, so we just rebooted it on Github's
>> platform.
>
> About the site. If I may suggest. I think the
> http://shoebot.github.io/shoebot/ is a bit too long and could be
> simplified to http://shoebot.github.io (with now returns 404)
>
> For this, you would only need to move the 'gh-pages' branch from the
> 'shoebot' named repo to a 'shoebot.github.io' named repo. This would
> maybe also simplify updates to the website and separate it from the
> main shoebot dev.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Julien

Re: Shoebot 1.0b !

juego
Hello Ricardo and the list

On 05/04/14 15:15, Ricardo Lafuente wrote:
> I now realise that meeting up or working in parallel via IRC are great
> ways to move things forward. Wondering if we could consider an online
> hackathon in the near future? Perhaps even consider a physical meetup?

Sorry to write after such a delay. I think setting up IRC meetings for
parallel working might be a good idea. I'm in favor of trying that and
giving you a little help here and there.

Cheers

@xuv
http://xuv.be
http://p.xuv.be

Re: Shoebot 1.0b !

Stuart Axon
I'm definitely up for both IRC and physical meetups... we just need to work out when...   this looks quite useful for finding out when people are free (I'm not during working hours):

S++
On Monday, April 14, 2014 1:05 PM, Julien Deswaef <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Ricardo and the list

On 05/04/14 15:15, Ricardo Lafuente wrote:
> I now realise that meeting up or working in parallel via IRC are great
> ways to move things forward. Wondering if we could consider an online
> hackathon in the near future? Perhaps even consider a physical meetup?

Sorry to write after such a delay. I think setting up IRC meetings for
parallel working might be a good idea. I'm in favor of trying that and
giving you a little help here and there.

Cheers

@xuv
http://xuv.be
http://p.xuv.be

Re: Shoebot 1.0b !

Stuart Axon
Hi,
  It looks like I should be able to free up some time this weekend for shoebot, so will be on IRC if there is any interest in shoebot hackery...

On 22/04/14 17:50, Stuart Axon wrote:
> Hi,
>   It looks like I should be able to free up some time this weekend for shoebot, so will be on IRC if there is any interest in shoebot hackery...

Hey Stuart.
Sorry to reply now. Just seeing your mail today.
Was busy all this weekend.

I won't be available before next week for any work.
When are you (and others? Ricardo?) mostly free to chat/work on this?

Julien

Re: Shoebot 1.0b !

Stuart Axon
During the week Tuesday to Thursday is fairly safe (with a pref for Thursdays).. weekends are usually pretty busy, though if we arrange it in advance then other times can be possible.

Probably we'll need to arrange things about 1-2 weeks in advance to be make sure the time is free.

S++