Path Filters from nodebox-gl

Stuart Axon
Hi,
  I've ported a large chunk of the bezier functions we were missing onto my
branch.

The examples from this page all seem to work:
http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Path_Filters

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to backport to 0.3, it needs the stuff
where
bezier paths can behave likes lists and for PathElement to support .ctrl1 .ctrl2
method of fetching parameters.

S++

Re: Path Filters from nodebox-gl

Stuart Axon

OK, I've backported this to 0.3.  They all work except the 'trashed' example,
which
has a problem as shoebot 0.3 doesn't support calling BezierPath with no
parameters
Props to nodebox-gl for the original source; it meant I only had to do 1% of the
work here :)

Text placement in these demos seems a bit weird, I wonder if in nodebox it's
placed
by baseline?
  - Why would the demos have the text extending out of the visible area?

With this (path contours etc) we can run some of the cooler bots + truely claim
to have reasonable API coverage.

Re: Path Filters from nodebox-gl

francesco fantoni
great work! super cool
(maybe i will have a look at baseline stuff)

francesco

Il giorno mar, 28/09/2010 alle 11.44 -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:

> [...]

Cool - it's just a guess - it really needs checking against
nodebox1.

> francesco

I think I've fixed it (committed already), the problem was textpath not
taking care of baseline translation. I'm not sure it's the most correct
behavior, but looking at the examples seems that is consistent with
nodebox. Now the Path Filters examples should work as expected.
Needs testing.

Il giorno mar, 28/09/2010 alle 12.11 -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:

> [...]

just a side note:
In order to get the exact output you must add a draw=False statement to
textpath() command. Maybe we should default draw to False in textpath...

path = textpath("SPIKED", 40, 200, draw=False)

Il giorno mar, 28/09/2010 alle 21.51 +0200, architetto francesco fantoni
ha scritto:

> I think I've fixed it (committed already), the problem was textpath not
> taking care of baseline translation. I'm not sure it's the most correct
> behavior, but looking at the examples seems that is consistent with
> nodebox. Now the Path Filters examples should work as expected.
> Needs testing.

[snip]
> > I think I've fixed it  (committed already), the problem was textpath not
> > taking care of  baseline translation. I'm not sure it's the most correct
> > behavior, but  looking at the examples seems that is consistent with
> > nodebox. Now the  Path Filters examples should work as expected.
> > Needs testing.
[/snip]

Cool, fix looks great :)
- Have only tested on those examples.
Hopefully I'll get my monitor back from repair soon and be
able to compare to nodebox1 on the mac.

It seems to make sense so I've applied the change to -dq
branch too.

The typography part is the bit I know the least about, is there
any info anywhere about the baseline transformation ?

Any idea what the default is in nodebox ?
(I'm guessing draw=False makes the most sense here)

I've attached the path filter examples as a zip
(although I guess you already have them)
they still might be useful for someone else that
wants to try them (I should've dont this early,
but had cludges for the text being in the wrong
place).

> Il giorno mar, 28/09/2010 alle 21.51 +0200,  architetto francesco fantoni
> ha scritto:

>architetti>"

> >  >
> >  > > Sent: Tue, September 28, 2010 7:09:35 PM
> > > >
> > >  > great work! super cool
> > > >
> > > Cool - it's just a guess -  it really needs checking against
> > > nodebox1.
> > >
> >  > > francesco

> >  > > >
> >  > > >  > Sent: Sun, September 26, 2010 7:44:15 AM
> > >  > > > Subject:  [shoebot-devel] Path Filters from  nodebox-gl

>missing  onto

> > >  >
> > > > > >
> >  > > > > The  examples from this page all seem to   work:

>the
>
> > >  >stuff

>support  .ctrl1

> >  > > >

>no
>
> >  > > > parameters
>do 1% of
>
> > >  >the

>nodebox it's
>

> >  > > > placed
>area?

>truely
>
> > >  >claim
> > >  > >

> >  > >

path-filter-examples.zip (3K) Download Attachment