Nodebox compatiblity milestone - Evolution example runs unmodified

Nodebox compatiblity milestone - Evolution example runs unmodified

Stuart Axon
Hi,
   Back in 2008 when I first saw nodebox, it was the Evolution example
http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Evolution that made me sad I couldn't
nodebox on linux...  luckily shoebot was here, though it couldn't run
that particular example yet.. it had puredata integration, a gui and
some nice drawing examples..

Today though, evolution runs completely unmodified on shoebot !

Downloading and running it
sbot -w evolution.py
See's little beasties battle it out for survival (possibly too fast in shoebot)
- for more information read the page on the nodebox site.

Luckily it just involved uncommenting some of our cmyk code, a little work
+ adding a little more to our nodebox compatiblity code (see nodebox-lib).

Obligatory pic..

Known bugs:
Running this did expose a memory leak (issue 33) - also I'm not sure
if colours are 100% correct yet.

TL;DR
The evolution nodebox bot is pretty cool, and see's little creatures battle
it out to survive in the genepool - it runs a little quickly in shoebot.

Have fun -
S++

Re: Nodebox compatiblity milestone - Evolution example runs unmodified

francesco fantoni
hey Stuart,
that's awesome! great job!

best, francesco

Il giorno mar, 09/04/2013 alle 07.01 -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:

> Hi,
>    Back in 2008 when I first saw nodebox, it was the Evolution example
> http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Evolution that made me sad I
> couldn't
> nodebox on linux...  luckily shoebot was here, though it couldn't run
> that particular example yet.. it had puredata integration, a gui and
> some nice drawing examples..
>

> Today though, evolution runs completely unmodified on shoebot !
>

> Downloading and running it
> sbot -w evolution.py
> See's little beasties battle it out for survival (possibly too fast in
> shoebot)
> - for more information read the page on the nodebox site.
>

> Luckily it just involved uncommenting some of our cmyk code, a little
> work
> + adding a little more to our nodebox compatiblity code (see
> nodebox-lib).
>

> Obligatory pic..
> http://imgur.com/BKnZgEd
>

> Known bugs:
> Running this did expose a memory leak (issue 33) - also I'm not sure
> if colours are 100% correct yet.
>

> TL;DR
> The evolution nodebox bot is pretty cool, and see's little creatures
> battle
> it out to survive in the genepool - it runs a little quickly in
> shoebot.
>

> Have fun -
> S++

Re: Nodebox compatiblity milestone - Evolution example runs unmodified

Stuart Axon
Cheers. ..

I will try and put up a more detailed blog post in next few days..

If anyone has a mac to run nodebox on it might be worth trying to spot any differences (I'm not sure the
bit where the creatures rotate at the beginning is correct for instance)..

S++

Il giorno mar, 09/04/2013 alle 07.01 -0700, Stuart Axon ha scritto:

> Hi,
>    Back in 2008 when I first saw nodebox, it was the Evolution example
> http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Evolution that made me sad I
> couldn't
> nodebox on linux...  luckily shoebot was here, though it couldn't run
> that particular example yet.. it had puredata integration, a gui and
> some nice drawing examples..
>

> Today though, evolution runs completely unmodified on shoebot !
>

> Downloading and running it
> sbot -w evolution.py
> See's little beasties battle it out for survival (possibly too fast in
> shoebot)
> - for more information read the page on the nodebox site.
>

> Luckily it just involved uncommenting some of our cmyk code, a little
> work
> + adding a little more to our nodebox compatiblity code (see
> nodebox-lib).
>

> Obligatory pic..
> http://imgur.com/BKnZgEd
>

> Known bugs:
> Running this did expose a memory leak (issue 33) - also I'm not sure
> if colours are 100% correct yet.
>

> TL;DR
> The evolution nodebox bot is pretty cool, and see's little creatures
> battle
> it out to survive in the genepool - it runs a little quickly in
> shoebot.
>

> Have fun -
> S++

Re: Nodebox compatiblity milestone - Evolution example runs unmodified

Dave Crossland
Administrator
WOW! Great work Stuart, that's fantastic! :)