Move to Gtk3

Stuart Axon
A heads up about possible breakage:
   I'm going to merge the Gtk3 branch fairly soon.

The main change to look out for is to make sure you have Gtk3 installed - if you use a virtualenv you will also need to add it to there:

# ln -sf /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/{gi} $VIRTUAL_ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages

Hopefully, I'll get time to finish the work to get us working in cairocffi + Gtk3 shortly as well.

Gtk3 has the advantage of not being a dead technology, while cairocffi plays better with virtualenv.

S++

Re: Move to Gtk3

Ricardo Lafuente-4
Wonderful news, I'll give this a try tonight.

So this means that Shoebot can now run inside a virtualenv?

On 01/02/2014 04:33 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:

> Right, fixed the typography issues I was having .. if anybody wants to
> test the gtk3 branch, then feel free :)
> S++
>

> On Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:44 PM, Stuart Axon <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     Well, found my first breakago, so might be a little while :)
>     S++
>

>     On Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:38 PM, Stuart Axon
>     <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>         A heads up about possible breakage:
>            I'm going to merge the Gtk3 branch fairly soon.
>
>         The main change to look out for is to make sure you have Gtk3
>         installed - if you use a virtualenv you will also need to add
>         it to there:
>
>         # ln -sf /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/{gi}
>         $VIRTUAL_ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>
>         Hopefully, I'll get time to finish the work to get us working
>         in cairocffi + Gtk3 shortly as well.
>

>         Gtk3 has the advantage of not being a dead technology, while
>         cairocffi plays better with virtualenv.
>

>         S++

Re: Move to Gtk3

Stuart Axon
It has been able to run in a virtualenv for a while.    As I was new to virtualenvs at the time, the instructions are in the requirements directory - this should probably be fixed post-merge (since it's slightly different in Gtk3).

Unfortunately, Gtk3 + PyCairo still need a manual step to link the right files into the virtualenv - but it is documented.

S++

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:44 PM, Ricardo Lafuente <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wonderful news, I'll give this a try tonight.

So this means that Shoebot can now run inside a virtualenv?

On 01/02/2014 04:33 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:

> Right, fixed the typography issues I was having .. if anybody wants to
> test the gtk3 branch, then feel free :)
> S++
>

> On Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:44 PM, Stuart Axon <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>    Well, found my first breakago, so might be a little while :)
>    S++
>

>    On Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:38 PM, Stuart Axon
>    <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>        A heads up about possible breakage:
>            I'm going to merge the Gtk3 branch fairly soon.
>
>        The main change to look out for is to make sure you have Gtk3
>        installed - if you use a virtualenv you will also need to add
>        it to there:
>
>        # ln -sf /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/{gi}
>        $VIRTUAL_ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>
>        Hopefully, I'll get time to finish the work to get us working
>        in cairocffi + Gtk3 shortly as well.
>

>        Gtk3 has the advantage of not being a dead technology, while
>        cairocffi plays better with virtualenv.
>

>        S++

Re: Move to Gtk3

Ricardo Lafuente-4
This is great. I've run a few of the tests and they all run fine. I've
pasted the virtualenv docs on the github wiki for handier access.

My head has been on other places, so thanks guys for keeping this
project alive! I'm still a user though I've been mostly lurking wrt
development, but I'm here and happy to help if something's necessary.

On 01/02/2014 09:18 PM, Stuart Axon wrote:

> [...]
>     >
>     >        A heads up about possible breakage:
>     >            I'm going to merge the Gtk3 branch fairly soon.
>     >
>     >        The main change to look out for is to make sure you have Gtk3
>     >        installed - if you use a virtualenv you will also need to add
>     >        it to there:
>     >
>     >        # ln -sf /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/{gi}
>     >        $VIRTUAL_ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>     >
>     >        Hopefully, I'll get time to finish the work to get us working
>     >        in cairocffi + Gtk3 shortly as well.
>     >
>     >
>     >        Gtk3 has the advantage of not being a dead technology, while
>     >        cairocffi plays better with virtualenv.

Well it's all good.   I want to transition to user, but keep finding things to fix :)   With any luck at some point I'll get enough working to get to the docs at some point in the future and we can fix those.

It's always encouraging that when I do some bits of work on shoebot everybody seems to pop back on the list and we make some more progress :)

S++